Inside Yummie's Recipe Box: 3-Cheese Macaroni with Bacon & Breadcrumbs
Meet Alicia, VP of Merchandising and Design, whose baked mac & cheese has some fun additions with bacon & breadcrumbs! Enjoy!
- Are there any lessons you've picked up from cooking that you think can be applied to the work you do?
Alicia: There has been more than 1 occasion where I am knee deep into a recipe, way past the turning back point, when I realize that I am out or do not have enough of an ingredient. Instead of heaving it all into the garbage I have come up with a creative substitute. In the design process there are times when a style that looks great on paper does not function as we thought it would so we come up with a different technique. This for both can sometimes result in something better than the original.
- Do you have any memories attached to this recipe? / What does this meal/drink remind you of?
Alicia: Sunday night dinner with my family while watching a good movie. Mac and cheese is an ultimate comfort food, so perfect during this time.
- What new recipes are you looking to try during this time?
Alicia: Homemade pizza and experimenting with different types of breads.
What is your favorite meal of the day?
Alicia: It used to be lunch, but now that we are all home it is dinner. We are able to focus on each other after we are done w remote work and school. It is a time for us all to decompress and have meaningful conversations about what we are all feeling during this time.
Is there a Yummie piece that makes you feel your best while cooking
Alicia: Our Jodi Bootcut Legging and Nylon Seamless Bralette as both are very comfortable.
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs - I used whole wheat panko, as this is what I had
- 5 cups whole milk
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar - I use white
- 1 ½ cup shredded gruyere
- 1 ½ cup shredded swiss
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper - I use closer to ½ tsp, as I like spicy
- 1 lb macaroni shaped pasta
1 lb cooked bacon chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir until browned, about 5 minutes.
Heat milk until warm in a medium saucepan over medium heat. In a separate pot melt 6 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Cook until butter is bubbling and then add the flour and whisk for 1 minute.
Gradually pour warm milk into butter mixture, whisking constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in 3 cups cheddar, 1 cup gruyere, 1 cup swiss, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, the paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente and drain. Add the pasta and cooked bacon to cheese sauce. Stir to coat and transfer to baking dish. Scatter remaining cup cheddar, 1/2 cup Gruyere, and 1/2 cup swiss over top, and sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs. Bake until cheese is melted, and pasta is warmed through, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. If you want to get extra color on the top place under the broiler for a few min and then let cool.
If you make this recipe, please remember to tag us on Instagram!
What are you cooking during this time? Let us know! You might inspire us to make some of your favorite recipes!