Inside Yummie's Recipe Box with Dale Arden Chong (@dalearden) + Cinthia Spoon (@cinthiaspoon)
What inspired you to make this dish?
Dale: This quick and simple meal has been with me since I was in college—when I was looking for something easy, substantial, and affordable. It's since become one of my go-to meals for working at home, as I usually have everything I need for it. Every time I make this meal, it brings me back to my early days of cooking on my own — and shows how far I've come in the kitchen. It's also a testament to how my appetite has changed moving from Nebraska to Los Angeles, where it seems like avocados are the unofficial fruit of the city!Cinthia: I was born and raised in Dominican Republic (in Santo Domingo specifically) and eating Yaniqueques and a whole fried fish was part of my family tradition every time we went to a beach called Boca Chica when I was a little girl. I am pretty sure every Dominican of my generation would agree with me that this simple dish is AWESOME when prepared right.
Avocado Egg Bake
- 1 jumbo avocado
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 grated parmesan (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of water at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (plus 3/4 cup to use as needed)
- 3 tablespoons of salted butter at room temperature
- Add all of the ingredients in a bowl and mash them until you form a non-sticky mass. Add flour as needed, until it has a proper consistency. Little trick - if you can let the mass rest wrapped in a plastic bag for an hour, its even better.
- Cut the mass in medium size balls and then with a grinder (or a rounded bottle if you don’t have a grinder), extend the mass as thick as you want it to be. I personally like it to be thin for the crunchiness, but it cant be too thin.
- Add plenty of oil in a skillet. When the oil is really hot, start adding your wheels. The heat should be on medium. Flip, flip and flip for about 2 minutes and voilà!
If you make this recipe, please remember to tag us on Instagram!
What are you cooking during this time? Let us know! You might inspire us to make some of your favorite recipes!