Inside Yummie's Recipe Box: Chocolate Cake
In celebration of National Chocolate Cake Day, Alicia, VP of Merchandising and Design, is sharing her recipe for the most decadent chocolate cake out there!
Ingredients for the cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Ingredients for the frosting
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- I use three 8” cake pans, but you can use two 9” pans. Heat oven to 350 degrees and then grease and flour the pans.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Then add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix in a stand mixer or use a electric mixer until well combined.
- Then stir in the boiling water. The batter will be thin.
- Divide among the pans and cook for 30-35 mins and then cool for 10 mins.
In another bowl, make the frosting (I doubled the ingredients as there are 3 layers and there will be extra):
- Mix the cocoa with the butter until well combined.
- Alternately add sugar and milk until it is the right consistency you want for spreading, add more milk if needed.
- Then stir in the vanilla.
Check out some of Alicia's other recipes here and if you make this recipe, please remember to tag us on Instagram! What are you cooking during this time? Let us know! You might inspire us to make some of your favorite recipes!